The boys were super excited to wake up and eat the special "vacation cereal" Ryan bought for them at Costco. After we picked up the rental car last night, we went to Costco and Ryan went shopping with the boys while I stayed in the car to nurse Tiago. He picked up plenty of veggie trays, salad, chips, and hummus to last us the week, especially for Sunday.
We got ready quickly so we could drive to another little town for church. I'll be honest, I was a little surprised at how few native islanders were there. Lots and lots of blonds. As we talked with the people afterwards, it seemed like there were a lot of people that loved the place and figured out how to be entrepreneurs or in careers that allow working remotely. I always feel a little jealous to see people that fall in love with a place and then do whatever necessary to live in "paradise". I wouldn't mind a little beach/island living...
The best part of church was at the end when they sang a Hawaiian song that was attached to the back of the hymnal. I'm not sure if they always sing it or if it was just as a farewell to a family that was moving, but I loved it!
We left after Sunday School for our drive up Waimea Canyon where the views were spectacular. I see why people call it the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. It really was quite beautiful. I think it was a bit more of a drive than the boys expected. It didn't help that the normally agile Dezi was suddenly real clumsy every time we got out of the car at a lookout. He scraped up his knees and lost his desire to 'hike' while forging his own trails was all Cai wanted to do. When we stopped for a nursing break, Cai finally got his hike time with Ryan while Dezi chased the wild chickens and roosters.









No comments:
Post a Comment