I'd been admiring Cai's speed and balance on my old Micro scooter and thinking that he was probably ready to try a two wheeler. When Ryan was off on business, I decided to get off my sick couch (baby woes) and let him try out Dezi's bike. We went out to the alley and of he went. I ran by him to give him confidence and catch him if he needed, but he was off and pedaling on his own after 3 steps. His only problem was if he did fall, his legs were too short to reach the ground to be able to start off again on his own. That meant way too much running around the alley circle for a sick, pregnant lady like me. Eventually, we got down to one trouble corner where I camped out and waited for him as he went round and round. He was so happy and soooo addicted. He didn't want to stop, which actually caused a problem because we suddenly had two riding boys, one bike, and a mom who couldn't muster up the energy to go bike shopping. After a couple of days, I found a kind friend who let us borrow an old bike while we worked it all out. Luckily, Dezi was cool and didn't make a stink about riding a girl's bike. At first, we wasted hours after the Easter Egg Hunt trying to find Cai a smaller bike to no avail. After a few more days, Cai figured out a way to start out on his own, even with his short little legs so we switched gears and went shopping for a new bike for Dezi. He LOVES his new bike and they are both happy two wheeling speed demons. I even had to buy a Kid Alert sign for the alley, but it still makes me nervous. They just feel so independent now that I have to remind them all the time what the boundaries are. Before I did, there was an afternoon where they disappeared (keep in mind, I'm totally sick on the couch). When I finally found them they were returning from Nathaniels house (.5 mile away). I think I will finally be getting my dream beach cruiser so I can join them for rides further afield, like the lake and trails, to give them more space to ride supervised. I'm finally ok with Dezi riding to school on his own, but a 6 and 4 year old off on the trails? Nope.
Sunday, June 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment