Thursday, June 4, 2009

Community Gardening has its perks


We LOVE our community garden. It is kitty corner from our house. The boys can even see our little garden wind sock waving in the breeze from their very own window. Though I meant to get an early start, not having a car at my disposal delayed our first plantings a bit. We finally got started around Mother's Day. We are sharing have the garden with our friends, Heather and Austin. The garden has grown pretty well and I've really enjoyed the solitude of watering by hand in the evening. There is something theraputic about working with the earth. The boys and I have had fun putting the seeds in the ground and they help me water most mornings. Overall, it has been great, though sometimes I have to spend a little too much time keeping them from mischief. They haven't damaged anyone else's garden, but Cai has already picked one tomato and one marigold. Sad.

The highlight so far has been harvesting our radishes and releasing ladybugs. The boys were super excited to taste the radishes. Too bad it turned out in disappointment. I'm looking forward to the carrots. I grew radishes because of the quick harvest time even though I don't love them myself. It was still fun. Dezi shared some with his friend Dylan and gave them a second try.

As for the ladybugs, Caetano won a coloring contest for his age that gave him the supreme right of holding a little bag with hundreds of ladybugs. Of course, he shared with our whole family and Austin. It was so fun to see all the kids with so many ladybugs crawling on them. They had fun releasing them all over our garden. I loved it too!

No comments: