Thursday, August 2, 2012

My birthday and organization

When I woke up on my birthday, I came out to find these roses on the table. Usually, I think think flowes are a waste of money since they just end up dying, but this time, I actually thought it was a sweet surprise. Even sweeter was the gift that Ryan gave me when we went out to dinner later that night. He gave me a consultation with a professional organizer. Some people might take offense to that sort of gift, but I was sooo excited. It's actually been a couple of years since I began trying to book someone to come help. I am the kind of person that can admit when I have shortcomings and organization is definitely something I struggle with. Not to make excuses, but a few things have happened to get me to the level of insanity where I currently find myself.

1. I NEVER had more than a few days in between my non-stop moves since age 17.
2. From my parents, I inherited my 'need' to hold on to things for sentimental and 'what if I need it' reasons.
3. The environmentalist/artist in me sees all kinds of repurposing I could do to fix old things or create new things out of them rather than landfilling items.
4. Just when all my items caught up with me in the blue house, I got heavily involved in humanitarian work and my little photography business...at that very same time, we got our 30 day 'eviction' notice. We bought a house and moved under a crazy amount of stress, I had my first art show the next week, went to Brasil for 2 months 3 weeks later, put on a charity gala (entirely my responsibility) two months later, then Christmas madness, and then a pregnancy that had me on the couch for 9 months, followed by a schedule of car pool every afternoon and allergy shots twice a week while nursing every 3 hours and...well, you get the picture. I'm sure I'm leaving out some things, but that's the nutshell. Quite a whirlwind. For someone who already had a ton of clutter that had caught up to me, two years of craziness only added to it! Very excited to get working on it so I can get rid of the guilt I have every time I ignore to do something fun with the kids.

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: