So, despite the happy smiles, I was a bit of an emotional mess upon leaving the hospital. I actually waited extra long so I could see the lactation consultant again. She had helped me a couple days earlier to work on Tiago's latch, but things stiLl weren't peachy. In fact, I pretty much hadn't slept last night because the nurse told me Tiago had lost more weight than he should have as he was down to 6 lbs 13 oz, an 11% loss fro
7 lbs 10 oz. All babies lose weight, but at the very upper limit, 10% is acceptable. I spent all night trying to feed my regular breast milk followed by the SNS system (a little tube of formula put in baby's mouth at the sMe time they breast feed). It was difficult, stressful and exhausting. I pretty mch cried to everyone I saw that day. Well, not everyone, but I did cry to the pediatrician, the lactation consultant and Ryan. I somehow managed to just be teary-eyed to the rest of the nurses that were in and out.
Anyhow, Ryana and I went to the lactation class at 1 and then asked her to come to my room before we were discharged. I'm glad we waited. she showed a trick to use the SNS more easily by using tape to hold it in place and by placing it closer to the breast instead of higher on the shoulder (lessening the quick flow). She also helped Ryan be an awesome assistant to me. Finally, she noticed that he is tongue-tied and said that could be contributing to a difficult latch and suck.
Ton ight will be another marathon and we'll see what happens at his weight check at the dr tomorrow.


No comments:
Post a Comment