Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Emergency Room

After our day at the zoo, I let the boys play down at the little playground in the apartment complex. I sat down on the bench right in front of them and watched in slow motion horror as Dezi fell off a slide right onto his head. He had that terrible silent cry with wide eyes. I was probably shouting something like "Talk to me! Dezi!" and other frantic things. He finally gasped and cried harder than I've ever seen him cry. There was no blood and nothing broken, but we went back to the apartment to rest and get a drink anyway. When we got upstairs he threw up. His eyes started to get funny like he was falling asleep. I remembered when I was a girl and my sister Daniela had a concussion and I knew that Dezi had a concussion. While talking to him, I hurried and did some searching on concussions. The scary thing aboutt hem is that you never know how serious they are. I called his pediatrician back in Utah and confirmed what I knew, that I should take him in to make sure there was no bleeding or swelling in the brain. While all this was happening and before we got to the emergency room, Dezi threw up a total of 6 or 7 times. It was terrifying.

After a long night talking to medical people and taking cat scans, we finally got the results: no internal damage...yet. Relief for that night, but watchful waiting for the rest of the week. I was very happy to have a healthy child and not so happy at the price tag on his cool brain pics.

No comments: