Sunday, August 30, 2009

Twilight Concert Series


The Gallivan Center had a wonderful ongoing event this summer called the Twilight Concert Series. Every Thursday they had quality touring bands playing for free. Ryan and I tried to go as often as possible, though I would have been at EVERY show back in the olden days.

We saw Bon Iver and Jenny Lewis the opening night and had a great time with Greg and Lauren Soderberg (a good friend of Ryan's from work).

I went to see Iron and Wine with a Chinese friend I met when Lily was here (Ryan was in Canada). She has been a Mormon for about a year. I felt bad to expose her to the grittier side of SLC, the one that consists of pot smoke ("What is that sweet smelling smoke?" she asked), alcohol and PDA lesbians. Up until that point, I'm pretty sure she thought all Utahns were clean cut saints. It was fun to watch the show with her, and Sam Bean put on an amazing performance, but I missed Ryan and wished he was there to experience it with me.

The last show was Robert Randolph and the Family Band and Black Jow Lewis and the Honey Bears. I decided to go downtown early with the boys to let them ride on Trax. They've been asking to ride the tram ever since we moved here and I thought it high time I take them on an adventure. Since Ryan's flight was getting in that night, he was able to meet us there (stuck with only suits and work out clothes in his luggage, he chose dressing down in gym shorts for the show!). The boys had a fantatic time getting on and off the tram and would have be happy riding for hours. They were also pretty happy riding around on Ryan's shoulders at the show and running around the water features. Before calling it an early night, we bumped into Corey Fox from my old concert promoting days, which was a happy surprise.

No comments: