Sunday, May 17, 2009
An inspired Sunday
As I was preparing to teach my Sunday School lesson in the morning, I felt inspired to call my neighbor, Leta Greene. The Greene's baby, born on April 1st, has been been the NICU and PICU since birth (for more info on her condition and struggle, go to http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=64061172286&ref=ts). They have struggled to balance time with Katelynn at Primary Children's Hospital and time with Nathaniel and Ailsa, their two children at home. During the weekdays, there is juggling of the kids between friends and a nanny so Leta can go spend time with Katelynn, but weekends are trickier. The kids can't go with them to the hospital because they are too young so they end up spending time as a "family" together while Leta's heart aches for the little one that is missing.
Now, back to my inspiration. I felt like I should call and offer to watch Nathaniel and Ailsa so Leta and Nathan could go as a couple to spend time with their little Katelynn. The inspiration was so strong that I knew it was the Lord prompting me to do it, not just me having a nice neighborly thought. Before even asking Ryan if that was okay with him, I called and made the offer. We decided the kids would change after church and come right over. Leta and Nathan were touched that they would actually be able to have time together as a couple and with their baby.
It wasn't until after church that the reason for the earlier prompting was truly made clear. I get teary eyed just recalling the circumstances. Leta called and said the kids were out the door on their way over. She said she was extremely grateful because, upon arriving at home, they received a phone call from the hospital stating that Katelynn's condition was rapidly decling and they needed to get there as fast as possible. Had we not pre-arranged for the kids to come over, she would have had to take the time to call people and explain the emergency, that dear Katelynn was bleeding through her nose and mouth, to see if someone could take the kids. How to do that with Nathaniel and Ailsa standing right there and with her wanting to be on her way immediately?
The Lord knows his children. He knows what trials and hardships await them. He tries to put others in the path to relieve some of the burden before the burden is even known. If we listen carefully, recognize His promtpings and follow them, we just might be privileged enough to be His helping hands. With humility, I am grateful to have had this opportunity because it strengthened my testimony of how the Lord operates and how critical we are to each other.
When the kids arrived, I took them, along with Dezi and Caetano, for a long walk around the Oquirrh Lake here in Daybreak. We had a great time watching the ducks, throwing rocks, and just being outdoors together. Back at the house, we had otter pops pops to cool down before eating our homemade lasagna (thank goodness for leftovers!). Leta's parents arrived during our picnic, but they soon left for the hospital where the bishopric was gathering with Leta and Nathan to give Katelynn her blessing to be on the records of the Church. Candas Holt was busily packing an overnight bag for Leta's parents to take to them.
When it was time for bed, I left Ryan in charge of our kids and went to put the Greene kids to sleep in their own beds. After a few Book of Mormon stories and a prayer, they went to bed. I was left to sit with my own thoughts about all that was happening. I read a talk from the General Conference Ensign called "The Power of Covenants" by Elder Todd Christofferson. I chose it because of conversations I'd had with Leta about covenants and how blessed we are to have made sacred covenants that keep our families together forever. He said, "We need strong Christians who can persevere against hardship, who can sustain hope trough tragedy, who can lift others by their example and their compassion, and can consistently overcome temptations. We need strong Christians who can make important things happen by their faith...What is the source of such moral and spiritual power? The source is God. Our access to that power is through our covenants with Him." The Greene family came to mind as a great example of all these things. Not only because of Katelynn's current situation, but also Nathan's bus accident, Nathan's heart attack, the difficulty of conceiving children, and the tremendously difficult pregnancy.
When I was finished with the article, I thought about sweet Katelynn, her little body shutting down, blood coming out of her nose and mouth. I knew that her fight was nearing its end, but that this little spirit was sent from heaven with a purpose. She did a tremendous amount of missionary work, reminding people the importance of faith, hope, and charity and what it means to pray with real intent... She accomplished a lot and was ready for her next step in the eternal scheme of things. I am grateful for our knowledge of Heavenly Father's plan for us; that we lived as spirits before coming to Earth, that we are here to gain a body and be tested, and that we will certainly return again to live with Heavenly Father and our families if we live worthily. I am grateful for Christ's Atonement that makes all this possible. I am grateful for the restoration of His Church that gives priesthood leaders the authority to bind families together forever through temple covenants. Thinking about all this, the song "I Know that my Redeemer Lives" kept playing in my head. Throughout the week, the tune stuck with me while different words began to flow, words that were for Katelynn. I'll close this long post with those new words. I think they are best when coupled with the tune of that great hymn that gave me the inspiration, so take a moment to sing it to yourself. I dare you not to feel a little tingle in your soul telling you that we are indeed eternal beings with a Father in Heaven and a Savior that love us dearly and await our return.
She lives, sweet Katelynn up above,
She lives embraced by His great love,
She lives, she lives for Christ atoned,
She lives, in our Heav'nly home,
She lives, for covenants we have made,
She lives, for we have daily prayed,
She lives, and patiently awaits,
For us to cross the Heavenly gates
She lives though on this Earth no more,
She lives, her body to restore
She lives, our family will be whole,
She lives, what comfort to my soul
She lives, through Christ's Eternal gift,
Her life, forever to uplift,
She lives in His eternal care,
She lives, we too will soon be there!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment