Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dezí's Graduation


Despite being a little shy at times, Dezi was one of the best performers at his preschool graduation. Of course, as his mom, I would have to say that, but it is true. There were definitely others that outdid him, but there were also several who chickened out all together. He sang all the songs and did all the actions and I nearly burst with pride at how cute he was. He, on the other hand, nearly burst as he tried to get through the singing without peeing his pants. I'm not sure if we ended up getting it on video or not, but Ryan and I were dying as Dezi squirmed and grabbed his goods through his pocket. If ever my face was red, it had to have been at that moment as I tried to tell him, "Tira mão!" (in other words, namely English, "Get your hand out of there!"). He was a very happy boy.

The only sad thing is that his friends will be going on to Kindergarten and we, after 5 years of debate, have decided to keep him back. It is not a decision based on academics or even sports, but rather emotions. We surveyed many moms and teachers and read many articles. We finally decided that there is more of a chance for regret in sending borderline birthday boys than with keeping them back. Not to mention that because the predominant trend here is to keep summer birthday boys back, sending him now would actually mean sending him with boys that will already be 6 when starting Kindergarten. When it comes down to it, I would much rather have my Dezi be one year older than someone than a full year younger. Ultimately, it means that he gets to be my baby for one more precious year.

No comments: