Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Dover's Visit


Thanks to my dear, sweet Cai, I am starting all over on this post so forgive the lackluster writing that may ensue. This year's visit from the Dovers started when Grandma delivered Travis to our house. The rest of the family was at a Turner's Syndrome conference for Cosette so Travis got to have his first real sleep over. Out first test was getting Trav to fall asleep at night. He was usually okay during the day, but wanted his mama at bedtime. Dezi told him he could sleep in his bunk with him and did a pretty good job comforting his cuz. Our next hurdle was making sure that Trav didn't starve to death. We knew this would pose a challenge due to his particular tastes (our dear Trav still refuses to eat bananas in any form other than Gerber's) so I stocked up on things we knew he liked, such as yogurt, toast, quesadillas, and macaroni and cheese. Little did I know how much brand loyalty matters to little Trav. Apparently, I had the wrong vanilla yogurt, my bread had chunks (that were invisible to my eyes, but detectible my Trav's sensitive palette), our cheese was different, and my mac and cheese was in the wrong color box. I'm not sure how, but he survived his days with us! Of course, all the boys had a great time going to the splash pool, parks, and the beach and playing plenty of Star Wars.

DeeAnn came to save the day on Monday when Ryan and I both had to go volunteer at the Oquirrh Mountain Temple Open House. Trav was a little nervous about someone else watching him so DeeAnn drove up from Mt. Pleasant. I was happy she was willing to do it because I had a great time serving cookies in the hospitality tent where I was the only one able to share my testimony with a Columbian couple in Spanish. It was a stretch, but they seemed touched and eager to come back.

Once the rest of the fam was in town it was time for the real fun to begin. The Discovery Gateway and Thanksgiving Point's dino museum were must-sees. All the kids seemed to have a great time at both places, even though Trav was a little tired of Dezi and Cai and a little petrified of the Megalodon shark. I think the favorites were the Market, News Station, and Helicopter at Discovery Gateway and the Erosion Station at The Museum of Ancient Life. The ice cream at the end wasn't shabby either.

Gigi and I took the kids to see the temple one day, which was fantastic even though we'd already been on the tour. The boys really like going there and I think they'll be sad when it closes to the public. Overall, they were very well-behaved and reverent. Dezi loved the chandeliers the best is still taking about how beautiful they were.

Aside from those activities, we just had fun hanging out with everyone. The boys especially loved Blake and Justin's old Star Wars costumes and jumping on the tramp. Dezi and Cai look up to them so much. They are constantly asking to play with them so it is always nice to get together. It is nice for the grown ups too. Catching up is always fun and saying goodbye is always hard...

No comments: