Monday, March 15, 2010

Keeping busy in St George




Though there were certainly feelings of frustration (*read the last paragraph of this post if you want to understand), there were also plenty of good times during our 3 1/2 weeks of "homelessness" in St George. The boys love the dinosaur museum, even though it is so much smaller than the one at ThanksGiving Point. They love all the fossils, the little movie, and the coloring and rubbing activities. We also had a fanastic time hiking around "the narrows" on the red hill. I was impressed that they both went all the way through and that I managed to take my camera along, often sacrificing my body to protect it from scratches. I hope to go on many more hikes with these boys. We went to the temple visitor's center with Raini one day. I was trying to photograph the temple, but between weddings, work crews, and sudden rain/hail storms, I had a tough time. At least we were able to enjoy the exhibits. They can spend hours there without being bored, which I love. It wasn't warm enough to play outside every day, but we did go to the park a few times and they liked boucing on the trampoline (that I hate because I know someone will break a leg soon!). The little cousin time they had was precious and fun and they also had special times with Grandma and Grandpa that they will cherish.

*When we decided that we were going to St George while waiting to close on our house in Daybreak, we thought we'd try to make a vacation out of a bad situation. That was harder said than done. Part of me felt like we were missing out on things (like Dezi's preschool and swimming lessons and my planning of events for the Giving Back Committee); part of me felt frustrated for all the things that I "needed", but didn't have access to (like birth certificates to renew Brazilian passports); part of me felt like we were in the way (my parents are trying to redecorate their house and Daniela was in the middle of remodeling); part of me just wanted regular friends and activities for the boys; and part of me wanted space, time, and focus to do my art for the coming Art Walk and to plan for Brazil. Being displaced, especially at what seems like a critical time, is more frustrating than I anticipated.

No comments: